Fact: Port Hedland is the second largest town in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, with an urban population of 14,320 as of June 2018 including the satellite town of South Hedland, 18km away. It is also the site of the highest tonnage port in Australia.
Port Hedland is one of the world’s largest and busiest working
filled with ships that transport hundreds of millions of tonnes of cargo each year to distant places.
In Port Hedland, the coming and going of the ships from dusk till dawn are a part of everyday life making it one of the most unique qualities of this remote town on the northwest coast of Australia. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring this town and we loved the people we met. We would recommend staying at The Port Tourist Park at the Landing Resort behind the Walkabout Hotel it has everything you need for a comfortable stay, they are TAWK Members and the if traveling with the kids the indoor play area at the walkabout is absolutely mint.
Be sure to stock up on your meat at The Tenderspot Butcher in South Hedland, you won’t regret it. For
Things to do In Port Hedland
- Wet your Fishing Rod @ Six Mile
- Staircase to the Moon Event
- Watch a Sunrise and a Sunset – Stunning
- Take the kiddies for a Play at the Indoor Playground @ The Walkabout Hotel
- BBQ & a play at Cemetry Beach
- Cultural & Heritage Trail
- Walk the Low Tide @ Cooke Point – Absolutely Stunning
- Staircase to the Moon Event @ Cooke Point – Breath Taking
- Explore the Discovery & Esplanade Markets
- Salt Eco Tour – Runs Seasonally Check with info centre for times
- Enjoy an afternoon picnic watching the ships and tug boats come in and out at Spoil bank – make sure you stay for Sunset – Gorgeous
- Parmy and Pint Night at the Port Hedland Yacht Club
- Turtle Experience/monitoring/hatching tour
- Fishing off the bank or launch your tinnie at Finucane Island
- An afternoon of cricket, footy and/or swimming and a BBQ or Picnic at Pretty Pool.
- Twilight Industry Bus Tour
- Morning Tea at the Jetty and a play in the new Marrapikurinya Park
- Seafarers Tour/ Fortescue Tour
- Town Tour
- Yarning with the locals Fridays at 11.30 am at the Visitors Centre between May and October.
- West End Street Art Self Guided Tour – Maps avail at Info Centre
- Lots of 4wd tracks and beaches to explore
Port Hedland Festivals & Events
- Red Country Music Festival
- Spinifex Spree Carnival
- Port Hedland Cup (AKA Heddy Cup)
- Ladies Day – Turf Club
- Northwest Festival
Wicked Weekenders from Port Hedland.
- Millstream NP
- Cleaverville Beach
- 80 Mile Beach
- Fortescue River
- De Grey River
- Hearson’s Cove
- Marble Bar
- Doolena Gorge
- Anna Plains Station
- Harding Dam
- Burrup Peninsula
- Tom Price
- Pannawonica – Rodeo
- Dampier – Red Dog Statue
- Point Samson
- Karlamilyi National Park
- Python Pool
- Learn to Love the Red Dust it’s everywhere, you won’t escape it, so no point stressing over it!
- Absorb as many Sunrises and sunsets as possible they are the most stunning we have ever seen.
- If you love your hair, wash it with filtered water and stock up on conditioner, that Pilbara air & dust kills your hair!
- Now your car, give it a good wash and polish before hitting the Pilbara and maybe take a picture because that red dust will seep into every part of the car and you will be finding it in odd places for years to come.
- Check out the Butcher – The meat is amazing!
- Moisturiser and Sunscreen Stock up you will need a lot of it.
- Laundry Pre Soak/Stain Remover will become your best friend
- Pilbara Prices and Pilbara Tax are a real thing
- When it comes to Bread/Bread rolls fresh means frozen lol
- “Just up the road” can be in excess of 200 kilometres